approx. 2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter (cold)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbsp dry yeast
1/2 cup warm milk
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix half of the white sugar into the warm milk, and then add yeast. Sit for 10 minutes until yeast is frothy.
3. Sift flour into bowl and add salt.
4. Rub butter into flour and salt with tips of fingers. It will look like golden breadcrumbs.
5. Make a well in the center of the butter-flour mixture and tip in some of the yeast-milk mixture. Use a knife to slice 'slice' the mixture until it is combined (this adds air to the dough).
6. Roll dough out on floured surface and use cutter to form shapes. Dab extra milk onto surface of cut-outs.
7. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes (or until lightly brown).
Serve with butter and jam - yummy!